Rottweilers are extremely loyal dogs and are always out to make their owners happy. They are both intelligent and loyal so training them is not an issue if rightly done. All they need is a little of your time each day which will make them adjust and adapt well to your family. Teaching commands to the pup will make them both disciplined and happy.
Start early at 7-8 weeks and keep the commands fun to hold their attention. Use rewards and praise immediately after they obey. Keep the commands short, distinct, and sharp. Be consistent and train the pup when it is alert and willing. Train in short sessions to hold their attention. 10-15 minutes for each session is sufficient. 5-15 reps of each command repeated 2-3 times a day is sufficient for teaching commands to your Rottie.
READ: Tips On How To Successfully Train Your Dog
1. This is the first command for your pup. Keep plenty of toys in hand. They tend to chew at this phase of their life. If they try to playfully go for your fingers, say ‘no bite.’ Pretend you are hurt and leave. This will send the message that the game ends if they bite. Do not tap your Rottie’s nose as it makes them aggressive.
2. Your pup should learn to stay quiet at your command. When your pup starts barking, say ‘quiet’ and reward the pup when it obeys. This command takes time and patience.
3. Chewing is natural for all breeds. Teach your Rottweiler to stay away from the things they should avoid. Say ‘no chew’ every time you take away anything from them. But give them something else to chew on.
4. Teach him the ‘come’ command to quickly recall the pup when they are in danger. Keep a little distance from your pup and say the command. Reward the pup every time they obey.
5. The ‘paw’ command is useful when you want to clip their nails. Have your pup sit, pick up their paws, and say ‘paw’. Don’t forget the treat once they obey.
6. The ‘no’ or ‘stop’ command is useful. Rottweiler pups love to mouth objects and when they pick up something forbidden then use that command and gently take it away. Use the command until they learn to stay away from such items.
READ: Bathing Tips For Rottweilers To Keep Your Furry Friend Squeaky Clean
7. The ‘sit’ command makes many other tasks easier. Show the pup a treat and arch it over its head. It will naturally sit back. Immediately say ‘sit’ to reinforce the behavior and reward the pup. Work on the sit command 5-7 times a day.
Teaching commands to a Rottweiler is easy as they are extremely intelligent. All it takes is patience and love. Happy training!