A Rottweiler in Wakefield in the United Kingdom silently eats a box filled with PPE rubber gloves. Rambo, the Rottweiler, then had tried hiding the scraps underneath his bed. The dog owner thought that nothing was wrong when he could not find his PPE in the usual place. But on visiting the vets with his Rottweiler, he had a rude and horrific realization of what had happened.

Darren Coyne is the name of the owner. He works in Leeds for the Holiday Inn. On missing the gloves, he had naturally assumed that he had gone through the whole container of PPE gloves when he could not find it. But his dog Rambo, now 7 years old, became sick after some time. And then he came to know the location of the missing gloves.

Prompt Action For The Rottweiler That Ate PPE

On seeing the glove, Darren hurried Rambo to Vets4Pets in Wakefield’s Westgate. There he was told to go to the Vets4Pets hospital for Leeds and Birstall. On reaching the place, Keith Leonard, the owner of the hospital and veterinary surgeon took charge of the case. He and his team were left extremely surprised with the findings after they conducted an endoscopy on Rambo.

Keith said that they did not think they would find very much. It was even less expected since the Rottweiler was full of energy and happiness as he was bouncing while entering the hospital. The Rottweiler did not look like anything was bothering him at all in his world.

rottweiler
The PPE that was removed from inside Rambo

However, the endoscopy procedure which was supposed to be brief ended up being an operation that took three hours to complete, Keith continued. He stated that through the procedure the vets removed 29 more rubber gloves that were in Rambo’s stomach. That made the total number of PPE that the Rottweiler had eaten a whopping 30.

He explained how it did not seem to end for the team. Each time they managed to pull out one glove, there was one more waiting for them when they checked to see if there was any more left. The whole incident was unlike anything the team had ever heard of or seen in their careers.

An All-Round Effort To Safely Handle The Matter

Keith also stated that Rambo’s condition was quite healthy when seen from the outside. However, it would not have been long before the Rottweiler was in a critical condition. Thankfully, Darren’s prompt response and action to bring the dog to professionals and then the hospital effectively saved the life of Rambo.

Darren later realized that Rambo had eaten the PPE equipment when the dog was sitting in the car’s rear while they were going to walk. He said that he has been taking Rambo on several journeys. Usually, the dog did not care much for anything that was inside the car. Moreover, he has several such boxes in the car. This is the main reason why Rambo managed to do and hide the deed.

Also Read: Common Rottweiler Health Problems

Rambo was released from the hospital within half a day of the operation. Now, he has recovered completely. Keith advised owners to keep such equipment out of the reach of pets. Their inquisitiveness can easily lead to such incidents. However, if such a thing does happen, he advises following Darren’s steps. Darren believed Rambo was fortunate and was full of gratitude for the team of vets.

All image credits: Vets4Pets