Dysplasia In Rottweilers dogs What Does It Look Like and How Is It Treated?
Rottweiler dogs are probably the strongest and most powerful dog in the world. That’s the main reason why Rottweilers participate in most activities that require both strength and endurance. It is worth noting down that Rottweilers are prone to various joint problems. That’s why they may suffer from Dysplasia making it very difficult for your Rottweiler to freely move around. Dysplasia in rottweilers has no cure but its a condition that can be treated to try and ease your dog’s burden.
1.How To Identify Dysplasia in Rottweiler
– Always try to check the body movement of your Rottweiler. If your dog is suffering from Dysplasia, you’ll notice that the back legs move together rather than one at a time. Your dog will also have a stiff walk especially in the morning. That’s why its very important to try and check how your Rottweiler moves so as to find out if it’s suffering from either elbow or hip Dysplasia.
– Try to monitor the activity of your Rottweiler. If a dog is suffering from Dysplasia, it will experience some joint pains which makes it very difficult for your Rottweiler to walk. If your dog can’t go for long walks like before or doesn’t greet you at the door like it used to, then you should consider taking it to the vet.
– Ensure that your Rottweiler undergoes regular physical checkup from your vet so as to try and find out if your it’s suffering from Dysplasia. An X-ray should be able to tell you if your dog is suffering from this particular condition.
– You can also check how your Rottweiler holds its front legs. Elbow Dysplasia is mainly associated with uneven growth rates of the front legs. A dog suffering from this condition will mainly try to twist the affected front legs so as to try and ease any discomfort they may experience.
2.How Surgery Can Treat Dysplasia in Rottweiler
– Before you conduct any surgery it’s very important to try and look at some of the risks associated with such a procedure. There may be some complications associated with hip replacement. Your Rottweiler may not face any issues after surgery but its very important to know the risks involved like your dog may suffer from permanent nerve injury.
– You can also get professional advice from your vet so as to get more information on your dog’s condition and if surgery is necessary. Surgery is mainly done to dogs suffering from elbow Dysplasia to try and repair any damages to the joints. A vet helps you in recommending the best surgery for your Rottweiler so as to try and treat the condition.
– After your Rottweiler has undergone surgery, it’s very important to take care of it. Try restricting some physical exercises and ensure that he doesn’t go down the stairs or walk on a floor that is slippery. The vet will take out the sutures so as to try and examine if there are any improvements in your Rottweiler’s condition.
3.Non- Surgical Treatments
– Your Rottweiler doesn’t have to undergo surgery to treat Dysplasia. You can try monitoring your dog’s weight by changing its diet. If your Rottweiler is heavy, then that means that it’s carrying a lot of extra weight that adds pressure to the joints. Try changing the dog’s diet by giving it food with less calories.
– You can also try to modify your Rottweiler’s exercise schedule to try and find better exercises that help treat Dysplasia. Try engaging your Rottweiler in exercises like swimming or short walks. Also you can walk your dog on grass and avoid tedious exercises like jumping or running.
– You can also use some medications that help in reducing your Rottweiler’s joint pains. You should consider giving your dog some non-steroidals after it takes its meals. Before giving any medication to your dog, you should first call a vet to check both the kidney and liver functions.
– Massage and physical therapy also plays a major role in helping you treat dysplasia. Physical therapy is actually known to enhance blood flow in joints and also helps in toning the muscles. A massage helps in keeping the muscles relaxed and applying some pressure on the joints goes a long way in helping treat Dysplasia.
– Consider adding some supplements to your dog’s diet. Some supplements like Nutraceuticals help in treating various joint problems in dogs. Nutraceuticals are actually able to repair joint cartilage that may be damaged.
– Always ensure that your Rottweiler sleeps very comfortably. If your dog is suffering from Dysplasia, then they should be able to sleep in a place that is both warm and comfortable. Heating pads are sometimes used on the joints to relieve some pain and to also keep the dog warm.
General Information About Dysplasia in Rottweiler
– Breeding practices that are unethical increase your dog’s chances of suffering from Dysplasia.
– If Dysplasia isn’t treated, it can affect the quality of life of your dog.
– If your Rottweiler is suffering from elbow Dysplasia, then the best method of treatment should be surgery. Medications aren’t very effective in treating this type of Dysplasia.
Video Source : Veterinary Secrets
Dysplasia is mainly caused by the intensity of exercises, improper nutrition and genetics. This condition should be diagnosed at an early stage if you want your dog to survive. Symptoms of hip Dysplasia mainly show at the age of four to five years. Symptoms of elbow Dysplasia are mainly noticed between the age of four to ten months.
A recent study that was conducted clearly shows that approximately 20% of Rottweilers suffer from hip Dysplasia. It’s therefore important to ensure that your Rottweiler undergoes regular physical checkups to try and diagnose the condition at an early stage.
Dysplasia is a serious condition and it should therefore be treated with a lot of caution and experience. Always seek help from a qualified vet if you find any problems when your Rottweiler is undergoing treatment.
Your dog’s health is determined by how well you take care of it and how well you feed it. Ensure that you’re Rottweiler eats proper diet and always take it to the vet to try and find out if it’s healthy.